Healthy TeachingWritten by 9th Avenue Church of Christ on Jul 10, 2016 in - No Comments
Part of the Series “Healthy Things Grow” – Lesson #2 0f 3
A. We should seek to be a “sound” congregation, so long as we remember what true soundness means. It is holding to the Word of God, not our own traditions and whims.
B. Healthy teaching is part of what makes a healthy church.
C. In Ephesians 4, Paul lists seven “ones” that undergird truly sound teaching.
A. One Body
1. Not “Jew Christians” and “Gentile Christians,” but Christians only, and working together.
2. Ephesians 1:22-23 teaches that Christ is the one Head of the one Church.
3. He promised to build one church (Matthew 16:16-18). He either did that or He failed!
4. There were no denominations in the Lord’s plan, nor in the early church.
B. One Spirit
1. Reminds them of maintaining the unity of the Spirit.
2. Since the Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the New Testament, this is a reminder of teaching only those things that conform with the one message of God.
3. Jude 3; 2 Timothy 3:16.
C. One Hope
1. The resurrection of Jesus (1 Corinthians 15; Colossians 1:3-5).
2. Not Law of Moses or pagan practices; only Jesus.
D. One Lord
1. Christ Jesus.
2. “Lord” means “master,” but also carries the idea of respect.
3. Christ has all authority (Matthew 28:18).
E. One Faith
1. The idea of “you have your faith and I have mine” has zero Biblical merit (Jude 3)!
2. The faith is in the one Gospel message of Jesus Christ; the Lordship of Jesus!
3. Upholding and fighting for this one faith is necessary, but we should never fight for our own whims, programs, traditions, etc. Only a “thus saith the Lord” is part of the one faith!
F. One Baptism
1. There are seven baptisms mentioned in the New Testament (including Holy Spirit baptism and baptism by fire). This one, however, is clearly baptism for the remission of sins (or Great Commission baptism).
2. It is the only one that pictures the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, and the only one that continues to have eternal merit.
G. One God and Father of All
1. Having already mentioned the Spirit and the Lord, this completes the trinity in this list.
2. Paul is making it clear that the best example of unity possible is God Himself!
Conclusion: Healthy churches are not afraid to plant the seed, which is the Word of God, and see what increase the Lord gives!